If not addressed, rust can quickly spread and cause significant damage to machinery, equipment, and other metal assets, ultimately leading to costly repairs or replacements. The key to avoiding these costs is prioritizing rust repair and prevention before it’s too late.
Here are some straightforward strategies for preventing rust:
- Apply moisture-cure urethane corrosion inhibitors.
- The best example of a moisture-cure urethane rust repair product is Rust Bullet. This rust inhibitor uses natural elements in the atmosphere to harden and does not require artificial heat sources or extra ingredients to activate. It contains isocyanates, securely held within the paint’s polymer structure, so they don’t threaten health or the environment if you use the product as directed.
In terms of chemical classification, Rust Bullet falls under the category of aromatic urethane, which also has some aliphatic properties. By using a coating that combines these properties, you’ll have a durable, flexible product that can withstand UV light, abrasion, and chemical exposure.
- Go for a fire-retardant coating.
- Rust Bullet products possess remarkable thermal durability, capable of enduring temperatures up to 314°F continuously and up to 662°F for as long as 72 hours without any noticeable coating deterioration. Moreover, Rust Bullet has been proven to surpass the performance of many fire-retardant coatings regarding surface burning characteristics. During the ASTM E84 Surface Burning Characteristics Test, Rust Bullet coatings exhibited an impressive 5% smoke index and a 0% flame spread index.
- Select a rust inhibitor that works in all conditions.
- Good rust repair products like Rust Bullet work effectively whether exposed to air, buried underground, or immersed in water. They should also be thermally stable, waterproof, flexible, and resistant to chemicals and physical impacts.
- Use an eco-friendly product.
- Choose a high-quality rust inhibitor that doesn’t contain harmful substances such as zinc, lead, heavy metals, or chromates. The product should adhere to or exceed the California VOC and the EPA Standards for Potable Water. Rust Bullet excels in this regard.
Please find out more about Rust Bullet rust repair products on our website. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.